View Venice 2013 in a larger map
In Venice, old and new come together famously every two years with the Venice Biennale which transforms this city into a mecca for the best of contemporary art from around the world. With over seventy countries represented, this is the Olympics of the art world. During this second piece of my trip, I intend to use this showcase to examine how countries utilize art to project an image of itself to the world.
In addition, I hope to explore the public policy and it's impact of a government sponsored art event as economic engine.
- April 25 in 421 AD Venice founded . It was the refugee ground for many people who fled from the barbarian invasions. Slowly Venice was built on a number of islands of a lagoon. They were connected by bridges.
- 726 AD -First Doge government with the first doge being Orso Ipato.
- After 1000 AD Commercialization began when Venice was successful in defeating the pirates of the Adriatic Sea.
- The historical journey from Venice to China of the Venetian merchant Marco Polo took place during the Middle Ages (1271-95 AD).
- 1348 AD Venice was successful in gaining the position of a leader among the four sea powers of the Mediterranean Sea
- 1489 AD Venice conquered the island of Cyprus
- 1630 AD Venice was attacked by a great plague
- 1797 AD the Venetian Republic was defeated by Napoleon.With its defeat, Venice was incorporated into the Hapsburg Empire of Austria.
- 1866 AD, Venice became a part of Italy.
- 1966 Flood created heavy damage to the city
Points of interest and timeline information excerpted from Wikipedia, TripAdvisor, and LonelyPlanet.